Russia delivers coronavirus aid to U.S. after Trump-Putin phone call

A Russian military transport plane brought 60 tons of ventilators, masks, respirators and other items to New York following a lengthy call between Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin.

In addition to discussing the COVID-19 pandemic, the two leaders also talked about oil markets and critical bilateral issues during their call on Monday.

The readout of the call posted on the Kremlin website noted that it was initiated by the U.S.

The White House said the two leaders “agreed to work closely together through the G20 to drive the international campaign to defeat the virus and reinvigorate the global economy,” and that “President Trump and President Putin agreed on the importance of stability in global energy markets.”

In a phone interview on "Fox & Friends" minutes before the start of his conversation with the Russian president, Donald Trump reiterated his longstanding position that "getting along with Russia is a good thing," adding that Russia is "an important country."

You know, getting along with Russia is a good thing. I used to say during the campaign, and then these lousy politicians, they said, you know, Russia, Russia, Russia. Well, we have problems with other countries more than Russia, frankly.
The President also went on to say that trade with Russia has been "very much hindered by the nonsense that’s been going on, which has turned out to be a total hoax.”

After the phone call, President Trump took part in the coronavirus Task Force Press Briefing, where he revealed that Russia is providing medical equipment to the U.S.

Russia sent us a very, very large planeload of things, medical equipment, which was very nice.
On Tuesday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov clarified that President Putin made the humanitarian aid offer during the phone call on Monday and that President Trump gratefully accepted it.

A Russian military transport plane with 60 tons of ventilators, masks, respirators and other items left an airfield outside Moscow and arrived at New York's John F. Kennedy airport in late afternoon on Wednesday.